Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Week 5: Where I've Never Gone Before!


Well, I made it! I've been here over a month! Every day is further than I've ever gone! Longer than I've ever done this! Crazy right? Well, it's awesome. I've got a lot to say so bear with me!

I saw Elder Chris Kim a few weeks ago and forgot to mention it! I saw him in the cafeteria and I walked toward him and said "Elder Kim!" and he looked at me like he had no idea who I was haha then he recognized me, but I knew he didnt remember my name, and the first thing out of his mouth was "How old are you?!" hahaha thanks Chris! It was funny though, and then we talked a couple more times before he left haha.

A member of our Branch Presidency is going on a mission! To Paris, France haha him and his wife are super excited! Now he got to trade in his "Brother Harward" tag for an "Elder Harward" tag, so when I saw him and his wife in the cafeteria for the first time I said "So you decided to join the ranks!" and he got a kick out of it haha then he asked me for all the inside info on how my district is doing haha. Then at church on Sunday, after fast and Testimony meeting I was walking by and he said "Salut!" which is the informal way of saying hello in French (Which missionaries dont do too often unless they're good friends) and so I said "Salut" back and we talked for a little bit. He said he was excited to see me in Paris! Him and his wife are super cool!

So this Sunday was Fast Sunday, and so I decided to bear my testimony. So if you decided to bear your testimony this last Sunday too, then great minds think alike! :) And yes, mine was in French. So, I went up there, not 100% sure of what I was going to say, but it went pretty well :)

Here's what I said:
"Bonjour, je m'appel Elder Anderson, l'autre Elder Anderson. Je suis reconnaisant pour cet occasion d'etre ici dans la MTC, parce que nous pouvons apprendre plus choses ici que nous pouvons apprendre aucun autre place. Je sais que l'Eglise de Jesus-Christ des Saints des Derniers Jours est la vraie eglise sur la terre. Je sais que Jesus-Christ a souffert et mouri pour nos peches, et pour nos douleurs, nos afflictions, et nos epreuves aussi. Je sais que si nous nous appuyons en Jesus-Christ, et suivre l'exemple de Jesus-Christ, nous pouvons retourner a Dieu encore. Je sais que Dieu et Jesus-Christ nous aiment. Je sais que Dieu veut nous aide. Je sais que nous sommes ici pour un raison, et nous pouvons etre le meilleur. Au nom de Jesus-Christ, Amen."
I said a few more things, but that was pretty much it. Because I'm typing on a computer without accent keys and I know you'll try to google translate it and it'll get messed up (and because my French is far from perfect haha) I'll translate:
"Hello, my name is Elder Anderson, the other Elder Anderson (There is another Elder Anderson in my district from Rigby, ID). I am grateful for this opportunity to be here in the MTC, because we can learn more here than we can learn any other place. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church on the earth. I know that Jesus Christ suffered and died for our sins, and for our pains, our afflictions, and our trials too. I know that if we rely on Jesus Christ and follow the example of Jesus Christ, we can return to God again. I know that God and Jesus Christ love us. I know that God wants to help us. I knows that we are here for a reason, and we can be the best. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

That's my testimony and I know it's true :)

In a fireside that someone gave on Tuesday, he told a story about when he was a mission president and some journal entries that an elder shared with him that he says are pretty similar for all missionaries. This is how they went:
Month 1: What am I doing here? How am I supposed to learn a language and like people that I dont even know?!
Month 2: I miss my friends and my mom's cooking. I've been eating mac and cheese for two weeks.
Month 3: Mom you said that you would keep my room exactly the same until I got home! Now my brother has moved into it.
Month 4: Not only has my brother stolen my room, but now he's stolen my girlfriend! 

(Daniel speaking: Yeah I don't think I need to worry about this one haha)

It was a pretty funny story hahaha but he said that we really need to care about the people we teach and really want to help them change! We're going through changes at the same time as they are, so we can help them!

You should study the words to "Did You Think To Pray". It's an amazing song and has been on my mind a lot lately. NO MATTER WHAT, we can always pray! I know in my life, sometimes I don't feel like praying. I feel like I deserve how I feel, or I need to feel how I feel, so I don't ask for help. That's the wrong idea and I learned that!

Sometimes we doubt things. Why things happened a certain way, why they didnt happen a different way, why did they have to happen to me, or why are they happening right now? There are endless examples. Everyone has doubts at some point, it's understandable! One thing I learned in a devotional this week is "When we feed ourselves negative things (meaning negative thought, actions, or speech), then we are inviting Satan into our lives." That hit me like a rock! Sheesh! Now, doubts are understandable, but we need to know how to overcome them! Anyone know the answer? I know you do! Focus on the Savior and you will have happiness. If you focus on all that the Savior has done for you, then you will know that you can, and should be happy! You all know that though, you're better than me!

The tender mercies of the Lord are everywhere! Even if it's just the prompting to send something to someone out of the blue, and it turns out to change their entire week :) Thank goodness for the Spirit!

Be the best you can be everyone! I love you all! And I love all the letters!

Never stop improving!

Elder Daniel Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment