Monday, March 11, 2013

Week 23: What a Train Wreck!

Okay, my week wasn't quite a train wreck, but it's a little closer than you might expect! So, last week I said that I was gonna be doing some cool stuff this week, like going to Belgium, and it ended up being a little more than that!

I started the week by eating dirt and worms though, which was delicious! I shared it with a family in our branch (The Girard family) that is always doing nice things for us haha

IMG_1277
My birthday cake!
IMG_1265
The Girards! They're awesome!
On Tuesday was the Belgium trip for my legality! I was pretty excited for it because I was going to Belgium, and because I was going to see some of my buddies from the MTC! When I first saw them after 3 months, it was quite the reunion! We had so many stories to tell each other and I missed being able to be that comfortable with people! It was almost surreal haha I don't know how I'll be able to handle it when I finally get home from my mission! I guess I'll jump that hurdle when I get to it haha. So we got on the train, and kept talking to each other, and after a while I said "I keep telling myself that I wish we were still back at the train station so that we could have more time together." Well, be careful what you wish for! A few minutes later, the train came to a complete stop in the middle of nowhere, and it turned out that the train had broken down! Yeah, one of these super fancy, super fast European trains. Long story short, we were stuck on the burning hot train for 6 and a half hours! But you know what, it really was a blessing in disguise! Except that we missed our legality appointment and have to go back another time...oh well! I also didnt really get to see Belgium, just the train station there haha because after we got to Belgium we just bought waffles and turned around and came back!

IMG_1283
My buds and I eating some waffles!
The next day, I went to La Rochelle again for exchanges haha it's like I've served there now! I know how to get around and everything haha. We did some contacting on the boardwalk and actually met a few people! The ocean breeze was really nice and the salty air brought back some good memories! I was on exchanges with an elder named Elder Schultz, and he was awesome and taught me a lot!

Thursday we were back in Poitiers, and had a meeting with our ami Prince-Davy, and it went really well! He now has a baptismal date! March 30, 2013! It's exciting! He really loves talking about the Gospel and he really wants to find out what God wants for him in life. Our only problem is finding baptismal cloths for someone who is 6'8" haha

It's funny walking the streets here nowadays, because people recognize me and know who I am. Groups of high school kids will say "Anderson!" and so I smile and wave, just try to act cool, and then they won't think that we're weirdos! Because we're not! So people are starting to be more willing to talk to us. Hopefully that will help things out here!

We were invited to a birthday party at the Girard's house too, because Sister Girard has non member family, and it was a little awkward at first. But then one of the kids brought out a basktball, and tossed it to me. So what did I do? Sprin it on my finger of course! What an ice breaker haha the kids loved it, so I would hold their finger and spin the ball on their finger for them, then the dad's came and asked me what sports I played and stuff, then told me about their brother duo and how they used to make hip hop music, and then we talked about what it's like to be a missionary and why we do it. We didnt get an appointments set up with them because they said they're super busy and live far away, but at least now they feel more comfotable with the missionaries. Hopefully one day they'll accept some visits! Moral of the story: use your talents for good! Keep working on your talents, because you never know when they might be useful!
Oh, and read D&C 50:40-46, it's powerful!

Elder Daniel Anderson
IMG_1284
French scenery!
IMG_1286
Reminded me of Texas! haha
IMG_1287
I tried to get a good picture of the bridge, but it's hard when you're on a super fast train and there are poles in the way. haha

No comments:

Post a Comment